Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Gilcrease Orchard- a little taste of home


Place: Gilcrease Orchard
http://www.thegilcreaseorchard.org/
7800 North Tenaya Way
Las Vegas, NV 89131


Cost: Admission is free.  But you'll need money for the fruits and veggies as well as some of the other goods they have to sell.

Hours:  They have seasonal hours
Currently...
Tues and Thurs from 7am-noon
Sat from 7am-2pm
Sun from 8am-2pm

Best for kids age: everyone!
On the plus side: I loved visiting Gilcrease Orchard.  It reminded me of home.   I had no idea an orchard this big could exist in the desert.  And I loved all the green.  Even if it was just for a couple of hours it felt as though we had escaped the desert.

They only had Granny Smith apples available so it's a good thing we like them.   Apple picking season in Las Vegas is apparently best in July.
 


They had apples to pick and lots of vegetable to choose from too.  We picked apples and some squash.  The pumpkin patch had just opened that day but we will be picking pumpkins in a couple of weeks.   By the pumpkin patch a maze was created with hay bails for the kids to play in.  Charlie was eating it up and didn't want to leave.


It's not in any pictures but Gilcrease Orchard makes delicious apple cider.  I first discovered it at a farmers market in Springs Preserve.  Apple Cider is extremely hard to come by in Las Vegas so I was thrilled to pick up two half gallons.  They also make Pear Cider but I haven't tried it yet.
On the down side:  I miss fall weather for picking season : (
Suggestions: Wear sneakers!!  Kirby and I made the mistake of wearing flip flops and our feet were covered in dirt!!
Make sure you get some apple cider donuts.  My friends back east--- these donuts seriously rival Northbrook Orchards apple cider donuts.  Sounds like a sin to even say but the frosting on these donuts just puts them over the top.

Time allotment: ( I am adding this so when we want to go places in the future I will know about how long we will need there)  2-3 hours
Rating (on a scale of 1-5 stars)  5 stars
I know somewhere in this blog I mentioned before that I LOVE picking season (apples then pumpkins then Christmas trees)  So the 5 star rating might be a little bias

Go again? You better believe it : )
Seriously!!  I love this little face!!

No comments:

Post a Comment