Monday, January 13, 2014

Discovery Children's Museum


Place: Discovery Children's Museum
http://www.discoverykidslv.org/


Cost: $12 per person aged 1-99
$125 annual family membership
$175 Discovery Membership -- It's like a family membership but instead of each family member having a card there is a card holder who can bring up to 7 guests each time.
*Nanny and Pap got the kids a Family Membership for Christmas.  Kirby and I decided we would upgrade to the Discovery Membership so whenever family or friends are in town we can take them.


Hours: Tuesday through Friday 9am-4pm, Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 12pm-5pm

Best for kids age: 1-13?  The last time we were there I saw groups of middle-school aged kids and they all looked like they were having a blast.




On the plus side: Where do I start?  I've only been to one other children's museum and it doesn't hold a candle to Discovery Children's Museum.  The museum is on three levels.  Running through the middle is "The Summit", featuring science exhibits intermixed with slides and structures to climb.  The first level features a water room, Charlie's favorite!  It also has a pirate ship, a theater for kids to play on, a castle and a room specifically for the tiny toddlers.  There is so much to explore that I couldn't tell you exactly what is on the second floor and third floor.  I am sure I am mixing them up.  The second floor is (I think) is the one set up to model places in Las Vegas- a play airport, the local grocery shop, mechanic etc. etc.  The third floor (again- I think) has an art room and what they call a patent pending room.  In this room kids can build paper airplanes, make cars, and so on.


On the down side: The photos in the post are from a time we went to the museum with friends.  Our little guys did get overtaken by a school group at one point.   And I know weekends can be crowded so plan accordingly.

Suggestions:  I wish the museum and other places of this nature would post a public calendar on its website to show when they are having multiple school groups.   I would love to plan our future visits at times when we can avoid the masses of school kids.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5 stars) Can I give it 10?  Five stars plus!!!!
Time Allotted?  The longest we have been there is 3 hours and we could have stayed longer.  Pack a lunch and plan to stay a while!
Go again? Of course and now that we essentially have four guest passes on any given day we would love to have friends join us : )

No comments:

Post a Comment